Saturday, May 12, 2007

Dear Franca,

How pleased I am to hear that you are well. I was most gratified to receive a communication from our Miss Fox on Thursday last, and she had the foresight to include the letter that you sent to her, knowing as she did how I longed to hear of how you are faring.

I am very sorry to hear that you have been given books of sermons to read! How dull and good they must make one. I beseech you not to become too pious and to strenuously resist the efforts of your kind uncle in making of you a Vicar’s Wife. While I am sure this is a valuable and happy occupation (and I hold Mrs Campbell, your Aunt, in great affection) I do not think it at all the thing for you! Unless, perhaps your Vicar was of unusually lively spirits? and then there are all the advantages of being established in a home of ones own. So perhaps afterall, it would not be too dreadful. Only I still cannot wish it for you!

I beg you not to refine too much on the impoliteness of Mrs. Holywell’s behaviour. She is an ill-bred woman and not quite the thing I fancy. However, I believe that she means well, and is very generous with her time in the parish. It must be in regard to this devotion to the church that Mrs. Campbell would consider her influence beneficial, as I cannot conceive that she would wish you to take example from her behaviour otherwise. Mrs Campbell is herself a far better pattern to mold oneself on.

Do not fret Franca! Consider always that you cannot paint worse than Elizabette dances!

Mrs. Burrows is quite right and well do you know it. It would be a shocking affair for you to come out of blacks before the mid June. Once everyone has gone into the country for the summer it will be an easier matter to put them off and rejoin society. Such a relief it will be to you not to be confined to the very elevating company provided by Mr. and Mrs. Campbell.

I have nought of interest to relate to you of my own life. I spend, as ever, most of my hours in my study at Lennox. With increasing regularity I break in the afternoon to take tea with Thom Seyton at Beaufort College, occasionally with Mariah or Caroline Price, and this is the bright spot in the day. Which isn’t to suggest that I do not like work, for I enjoy it vastly, only one cannot spend all ones time reading Anglo-Saxon wills.

I would you convey my greetings to the Vicar and Mrs. Campbell. Please also look for a package to follow this missive. I shall endeavour to send you some more entertaining reading than Fordyces’ sermons.

Yours always and with great affection,
Philippa

No comments: