Sunday, May 20, 2007

Dearest Pippa

The governing of young children is not to my tastes! I have come to the inevitable conclusion that I do not like the early hours, the unsociable nature of the servants, the horrid behaviour of the weans or the constant dissatisfaction of a mistress.

There I feel much better!

I have had such a busy month doing nothing but work! The weather has been getting progressively worse, which I maintain is partly to blame for the terrible behaviour I am forced to deal with every day. To begin with the weather after Easter was lovely and warm. Thus the children were filled with lively spirits and the great desire to be outdoors playing. A trial for ones patience when it comes to trying to teach them their lessons. But the subsequent rains have been far worse, for now the weather is too horrible to go out and everyone is feeling very restless.

Hope seems so far removed from my present state I am beginning to doubt its existence. Your letter, however, has been a great salve to my spirits. And indeed I do try to remember that I have only a month or so before I go to my Aunt in Edinburgh. I really am trying to hold on dearly to that thought of freedom in the meantime.

Alas, I fear that this also means I have little of interest to convey to you my dear cousin. I have not even had the opportunity to sneak illicitly into the University. In fact, beyond falling exhausted into my bed every evening I have indeed done little and see no one.

I shall apologise now for my poor correspondence and hope for your forgiveness. I will sincerely endeavour to do better next time.

Yours in exhausted affection;

Bits

No comments: