Sunday, December 10, 2006

Dearest Elizabette,

I do think you might have written to say when you arrived! As it was, I tried to get the information from Aunt Celia who was extremely obtuse, as usual, and would not give me your direction. Good thing for you that I am a clever schemer and managed to get it out of Julia. Honestly! Your sister is insufferably good. I had to listen to her ramble on about how I am a Bad Influence and display an Indecorous Levity for a full quarter of an hour before I managed to convince her (by pulling her ears, I admit) to give me the address. So. I hope you are feeling penitent.

Oh dear, this letter isn't following the correct form at all is it? I shall begin again: How are you? I am well. I hope this letter finds you in good health. I always run out of polite things to say after that. And in any case the important question is: why have you been sent to Scotland dearest? It cannot really be Aunt's ridiculous notions can it? Do you have an unsuitable paramour? I shall burst laughing if that is it, you know.

I have not written before today as Mother was taking up all my time with last minute instructions on ladylike behaviour and Trunks. Horrible Trunks. But, today I arrived without mishap at the University. My things are at this very moment being installed in rather pleasant rooms in Lennox College by a rather unpleasant Matron. Which is to say, sour-looking Matron is supervising the work of a pert maid who would keeping winking at me in a thoroughly good natured fashion. I suspect a comrade-in-arms may be found in her and I shall have to find out her name. When the Matron has left.

My first impression of the University is that it a veritable breeding ground for Hijinks. Mother would be appalled and Father would smile knowingly. I am awfully glad Father prevailed upon Mother to abandon Penhurst's Academy; this will be much better. The other girls here seem nice, though I have not spoken to any. I can tell they belong to this College because they all have the Lennox College blue-hart on the hem of the grey gowns. And I think I saw little Madga Hallam crossing the quad. I wondered what had happened to her.

Well, I shall sign off as there is a large group of girls entering the writing room now, and I don't feel up to facing them today. I really do hope this finds you in good health and that you are not bored to tears in the North.

Much Love and Curiosity,Philippa Charlotte

No comments: