Sunday, December 10, 2006

Philippa Charlotte!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Have you been so very busy that you have forgotten your poor dear cousin sent into exile? I must say it is extremely vexing of you.

As strict economy would say that it is foolish to send an entire letter consisting of only a couple of lines I will be more forthcoming with my goings on. With Aunt Florence’s departure, I made haste to explore the city in which I now find myself. The cramped quarters of my room also encouraged exploration out of doors. How freeing it felt to be able to wander about without a chaperon at my side! It was such a novelty to walk in and out of whatever shop caught my interest. Though, in truth the novelty wore off before too long when I didn’t have anyone to share my discoveries with. I confess that I no longer remember much of what I saw walking through the streets.

I did find a charming ribbon shop. I think you would have liked it immensely! They had ever so many kinds. I hope you like the blue velvet ribbon I have enclosed. I was tempted by a truly hideous tartan, but it seemed a shame to waste the money on such a trifle. Though I would love to have your expert opinion on the combination of yellow, red, blue black and green all mixed together! Perhaps I will get a sample to send you after all.

My dear I have met several of the borders with whom I am share this abode. Professor Campbell is an odd sort of man. He is bent with age and is generally soft spoken, though I am not usually able to follow what he says for he speaks with the most horrendous accent. But then nearly everyone here does. It is most tiresome not being able to understand what people are saying. However, Professor Campbell, he is somehow associated with the University, can become very passionate about certain issues; namely woman’s right to vote.

Mr Frank Matherson and his sister Juliana are two other borders. I have only seen them at dinner along with an elderly woman of a very stern countenance. Apparently, a Mr McDonald and Mr Fergus are also borders who are away for a couple of days. I will have to find out more about these people if we are to be living together for some time.

I do hope, my dear that you are getting along well with your new accommodations. I will write again when I have more news. Perhaps when I start learning the arts of being a governess (oh, how I detest writing that).

Yours from afar
Elizabette
Wednesday, November 15, 2006

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think I may be excused for being so impolite as to insinuate myself into a conversation to which I was not invited on the grounds that the both of you ought to be properly ashamed of yourselves for taking such a shockingly long time to add to your correspondance. Have you no consideration for the dull existence of your poor friend in her time of exile far to the west? Here it is near noon and I have not had a single caller all morning, which shall shortly necessitate my going on a promenade just to recall that there are other people in the world.