Friday, May 11, 2007

My dearest Annika,

I am delighted to hear of your delight as I took delight in making those rosettes!! It was something to occupy me during my solitude. As for your request for words that mean “complexion”, I am quite at a loss. I thought on it for a full evening while I was supposed to be reading a book of sermons. I suppose the book in my hand was not suitable to inspire.

Today I called on Mr. and Mrs. James Holywell at their home just outside the village. They are quite the pair! Mrs. Holywell was quite a dour woman, but her husband has quite the modish hairstyle and I think that we shall get along splendidly. Their house is quite large, but the grounds are small (I am lead to believe they own large tracts of land not connected to the estate itself, however), the parlour had a lovely prospect of the river, and was scented with fresh-cut flowers, but the passages were cramped, and the entrance to the house is not nearly as grand as we have seen. Aunt has been keen to promote their introduction, and I suspect further ‘improvements’ to my character using their influence are part of her plans. I shall keep you posted.

Some time has past since I began this letter, but I shant waste the paper. I have not received so much as a calling card back from the Holywells yet and am quite put out. If I am to make the effort of having Mary-Ellen lay out all my favourite morning gowns so that I may chuse the right one, having Mary-Ellen dress my hair three different ways to find the best one, and trimming and re-trimming a bonnet, and then a cap, and then the bonnet again all myself, so that it might make the mourning jewelry look less dour, the least they could do would be to send me a card!

I shall now explain why this letter is so disjointed. An additional part of Aunts ‘improvements’ on me are to encourage me to visit and feed the poor. I believe that this is an idea of hers to prevent me from conversing with those of my own age and rank, but, on the whole, I suppose I do not mind charitable works. I go quite often these days now that the weather is fair, and sunny. To be quite honest, I do not think they are happy to see me quite so often but it allows me to leave the house for quite some time.

As usual, my drawing and painting are coming along not at all. I wish you were here to tell me that I am silly, and to goad me into actually completing a project.

Mrs. Burrows insists that I remain in mourning for the remainder of the season so I doubt that I will be able to contrive to join you at least until then. She continues to care for me a great deal more since Mother passed, but Mary-Ellen told me last week that at my age, most girls have outgrown their governesses. I still feel I have much to learn from Mrs. Burrows, however, and I feel that she has taken on quite a great deal more than a governess normally would.

I wish I could be in two places at once, dearest Annika, but until then my letters must suffice. In the mean time, do send my best wishes to everyone you meet. Is there a chance you could send me a copy of your latest edition? I am dying to read it.

Yours etc.
Chessa

No comments: