Saturday, June 9, 2007

To my dear Bette, with warmest greetings:

Ah, but consider the fact that a man will behave in a noodleheaded fashion at any and every opportunity which is afforded to him, and you will see that it was very wrong of you not to think that Edgar would do so. I will concede that one could reasonably expect Mr. Strongwin not to do anything foolish. However, this is principally because for most of his social intercourse I believe that he is not in fact fully awake, so I do believe that the point stands. I find that I am somewhat regretful for the lack of further communication with Edgar, due to Mr. Strongwin being away in the country and thus unable to provide the two of us with opportunities to meet. He may be entirely cobble-brained, but his conversation is stimulating for all that, and I have laughed with somewhat more moderation since our separation. I find I cannot recommend moderation in laughing.

I find it quite appalling that the weather has been so very autumnal here today. Given that the climate is as a general rule almost entirely lacking in sunshine for so much of the year, I could wish that in June, at least, one would be permitted to venture out of doors for a walk without becoming draggled up to the chin. I am glad to hear that you have been able to indulge your peculiar taste for adventures in clement weather, though.

What a very odd coincidence that you have been hearing untuneful singing. I too have overheard some unfortunate vocal outbursts coming from the gentleman who lives next door to me which, upon reflection, I concluded were intended to be of a musical nature. Part of the confusion stemmed from the fact that at other times I do believe that he was rather attempting to garner the attention of a certain young lady walking down the street, and it is not always an easy thing to distinguish the one from the other.

I am grateful to you, Bette, for illuminating me on the fascinating subject of being a corpse. It has been most novel. I pray you, though, not to delight me so again, for I find that I have had enough of it for the nonce.

Are you back with your family? Do convey to them my regards. Do also, if you would, tell me any news you have of Philippa; I am most concerned about her.

I leave you with a kiss and my sincere affection,

annika fox

No comments: